viernes, 17 de octubre de 2008

What's up. I'm drinking a beer as I write this, because I'm home. This time I'm stealing WIFI ufnortunately it's barely 500 kbps. This is kind of tasty Which brands of local beer can you recommend?
I rather drink light beer. Dark beer is too easy to drink. It's bitter, but only at the first sip. After the bitterness passes it's kind of a sweet bitterness. A dark beer is never too bad, although there are pretty shitty ones out there (the worst I've tasted since I came is called Sol Brava, brave sun, you must be acquainted). On the other side, lager beers have another kind of bitterness.
Not everyone, of course. I'll accept that. But there's some kind of generality which I'm trying to grasp. I feel like madman each day going to the same store, asking for a different beer. Could I pass for an actual taster? Probably not, just another "gringo loco" . I can understand the antipathy. Gringos are everywhere here. Old gringos.
In other parts of Mexico, young people come from the States, especially during the Spring Break. This city, however, has no special atractive except for people living on a saving's account, as it's big enough to have services but prices remain over the small town range.
Since I came here on buisness no one has made contact. I was told I was going to be picked up at the airport. Nobody came. I was told to go to Juarez Street, between Bolivar and Manzanas. There were three Juarez streets, no one between any of those. There is a Bolivar street, very far from two of the Juarez, and still not very close to the third. As of Manzanas, can't be even found on any local map. According to the City Council, Manzanas street has never existed here (if the fat lady eating at her desk can be trusted). I also was told to keep hold of my mobile. Still no calls. And the reason I'm still here, is I was told to wait for contact, no matter what.
A gringo on a buisness trip, all expenses, no work. Not old enough to look like a resident. Certainly not a Spring Breaker. An unusual gringo, cycling through the 6 brands of beer day by day, asking for a receipt. Can't last forever.
I hope I can come soon to Mexico City and finally meet you, Mr. Tormentas. I promise I will. After I make contact. Then I can tell them I need to take a couple of days and hit the road. Until then, keep writing. Your mails are the only thing in this world between insanity and me. That and beer.

P.S. I've been trying to practice my Spanish reading Hitlercito. Too many words I don't know, but I think I get the jokes. Keep it up.

No hay comentarios: